Conky is a system monitor used in the Linux operating system and allows you to track a variety of parameters, such as the use of RAM and space on hard drives, data transmission via the Internet, CPU usage, temperature, etc.
However, to obtain all these data, Conky must be started just like any other program. It’s not always convenient. It would be far better if the necessary information was located on the desktop, for example, in the form of widgets. This idea was implemented by the developers of the app Conky Manager — their child allows you to personalize a Desk, occupying it with one or more widgets. You can also pick up the Wallpaper, set transparency and location of the elements. Next, we will learn how to install Conky Manager on Linux Mint 19.
- To install Conky Manager on Linux Mint
- Configuring Conky Manager
- Installing additional themes
- Creating your own theme
- Edit the widgets and themes
To install Conky Manager on Linux Mint
Development Conky Manager has long been discontinued, so install this software from this repository is available only to holders Linux Mint 17.3 and earlier versions. To do this, run in terminal three commands:
sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install conky-manager
The first command adds the PPA to the system repository, the second one updates the APT cache, and the third is required for installation of the application.
To install Conky Manager on Linux Mint 19 runs in a roundabout way. The first thing you need to download from the Ubuntu archive and install file realpath_8.25-2ubuntu2_all.deb, and then similar operations to be done with a file conky-manager_2.4~136~ubuntu16.04.1_amd64.deb which can be found on the portal Launchpad.net.
To install deb packages you will need the program Gdebi. As a rule, it comes with the distribution. Some browsers just offer a choice to save the file or open it with Gdebi, others just save the file to disk. In this case, it is sufficient to find it in the folder and double click on the icon, then confirm the installation of the package.
You can also download and install using terminal, but, unlike the previous method, this works on all versions of Linux Mint. First team:
cd /tmp; wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/c/coreutils/realpath_8.25-2ubuntu2_all.deb; sudo dpkg-i realpath_8.25-2ubuntu2_all.deb
The second command:
cd /tmp; wget https://launchpad.net/~teejee2008/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+build/9408446/+files/conky-manager_2.4~136~ubuntu16.04.1_amd64.deb; sudo dpkg-i conky-manager_2.4~136~ubuntu16.04.1_amd64.deb; sudo apt install-f
It should be noted that if an installation repository suitable for the OS with any bit, the method using the file only works for 64-bit systems.
To install Conky Manager on Linux Mint is completed. The program will then appear in the menu. In which section — depends on the version of the OS. If you can’t find it, type in the search bar the name of the program.
Configuring Conky Manager
Now let’s see how do you configure Conky in Linux Mint. To personalize the desktop by using Conky Manager in two ways — to change the subject or connect the widgets. In both cases, you should use the preview. In order to see how the item looks, just click on its name with the left mouse button. If the bottom of the window appeared the image, click Preview.
To switch between widgets and themes serve the same buttons Widgets and Themes.
In order to install the selected theme or widget, is enough to set the check box next to the name.
Installing additional themes
After running Conky Manager on Linux Mint you find in the settings only one theme — Green Apple Desktop and a few widgets. This is clearly not enough, so I have to install the package default-themes-extra-1.cmtp with additional themes. It provides the developer. Download archive from MediaFire.
In addition to the official topics there are many “self-made”, created by enthusiasts all over the world. The easiest way to find them on the website DeviantArt.com. At the time of this writing there are 166 topics appropriate for Ubuntu-like systems.
Installation is very simple and takes less than a minute. Click Import Theme Pack and select a previously saved disk files with the themes (it must have an extension of cmtp.7z).
Creating your own theme
Another option is to create your own theme. All you need to do is to combine any Wallpaper for your desktop and necessary widgets from those that already present in the Conky Manager.
Start with a selection of widgets. Click on Widgets and select the check boxes for the desired items.
Then click Themes and click Save Theme. A window will open in which you need to:
- fill in the Theme Name — the name of the theme can be anything;
- set Wallpaper using the drop-down list Wallpaper — item Custom Wallpaper allows you to choose a picture from the number located on the hard disk, the Current Wallpaper will keep the current version of the background. Item None indicates that the Wallpaper will not be at all;
- to select the location of the Wallpaper using the drop-down list of Scaling — centred (centered), zoomed (zoom), tiled (tile), stretched (stretching horizontally or vertically), sсaled (scaling).
The list of widgets selected in the first stage, it lifts up automatically.
In order to save the result, click OKto refuse Cancel. If after saving your theme does not appear in the list, click Search for new themes (round arrows).
But looks like the theme you have created for example:
Edit the widgets and themes
If the user likes the widget itself, but don’t like the color of the substrate, size or location on the desktop, these and other parameters can be edited. To start, select the widget by setting its check box. This will allow real-time tracking changes as in the preview you will not see them.
Then click Edit Widget, in appearance it resembles a block with switches. This will open a window with five tabs:
- Location — the location of the widget (at the top, bottom, or center, left or right). Changing the numbers in the graph Horizontal Gap and Vertical Gap, easily shift the image by a certain number of pixels horizontally or vertically.
- Size — the size of the widget. You can adjust the width (Minimal Width) and length (Minimal Height). The Height of the Padding to control the distance from the lower line to the lower edge of the widget.
- Transparency — transparency. Transparency has 4 values — Opacity (fully opaque), Transparent (transparent), Pseudo-Transparent (in contrast to Transparent , this parameter allows you to save the image opaque, making transparent only the background) Semi-Transparent (translucent). In addition, you can customize the transparency percentage and set background color.
- Time — time format (12-hour or 24-hour).
- Network — access network. To change your Internet settings may not be available for all widgets.
To edit a theme is also not difficult, and you can change the number of active widgets, Wallpaper, and display method background.
Now you know how to install Conky in Linux mint 19. This is a convenient and simple tool for working with widgets and themes. Suitable for those who only learn in the Linux world, and those who have enough experience. Problems with the use of this program, as a rule, does not arise, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask them in the comments.