Wal Commander is a two pane file Manager. Has a console and GUI version.
Wal Commander has two versions:
- wcm is a Graphical version of a program that uses native libraries to render the UI.
- wcc is a command — line version of the program.
Also the package includes a separate program — terminal emulator Terminal Wal (wterminal).
The appearance and interface
Wal Commander is a two pane file Manager. It looks like Midnight Commander or “windowsy” Far Manager.
The main workspace is a panel with the files. They are blue with white separators. In the graphical version for directories are displayed in yellow icons in a folder.
Under the panel the bottom is a row of function buttons.
In a graphical version is available in the top menu and the special panel with buttons on top. The display panels with the files is virtually identical to the console version.
The program has quite limited functionality:
- Built-in terminal.
- Support all basic operations for working with files.
- Text editor with syntax highlighting.
- Viewer text.
- Editor and text viewer support changing the encoding.
- Search files by mask and by content.
- The ability to create bookmarks for quick access to directories.
- Support access to remote file systems (smb, ftp, sftp).
- Support work with files in archives. Supported formats: .zip .tar .tar.gz, .tar.bz2, .tar.Z .tar.xz, .tar.lzma, .gz .Z .bz2, .xz, .lzma.
- Support read the contents of ISO images.
- Auto-completion of commands through the command history.
- And some other possibilities…
Install Wal Commander on Linux
To install the program Wal Commander on Linux you can use the ready DEB or RPM packages. They are available for download on the official website of the program.
Note: In Ubuntu Linux, I needed to first install the package libssh2-1. To do this, run the command:
sudo apt install libssh2-1
To install Wal Commander from the DEB package, run the command:
sudo dpkg-i wcm_0.23.The 3-1_amd64.deb
Or you can double-click the DEB file and use the GUI installer.
To install Wal Commander from the RPM package, run the command:
sudo yum install wal commander-0.23.3-1.x86_64.rpm
Start Wal Commander from the main menu of your distribution, as well as from the command line. To run the graphical version, run:
To run the console version use the command:
The developer Valery Goryachev.
The program is written in C++.
The program website (free download):Wal Commander
The program is cross-platform and works in:
Screenshots of the program
- The console version of Wal Commander (version: 0.23.3)
- The GUI version of Wal Commander (version: 0.23.3)